Sunday, August 14, 2011

Myrtle Beach

Posted by Heather at Sunday, August 14, 2011

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This digital slideshow customized with Smilebox

Together with Auntie Hope, Uncle Eric, Molly, Grandma and Pop-Pop Tinkey, we went to Myrtle Beach, SC, for a family vacation- your first family vacation, Katy! The Coyles drove through the night from Pittsburgh to our house and then we caravanned over to the coast and Pop-Pop met us at the beach house. Uncle Eric's parents own the beach house, located within Oceanside Village.

After unpacking and unloading the cars, a quick trip to the grocery store and naps for the girls, we decided to hit the beach. This was your first experience with sand and saltwater, Katy, and you LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the beach! I had originally thought that you wouldn't like the sand or ocean water because you hate to have your hands dirty and you don't like going into kiddie pools. However, you proved us wrong, Katy! Daddy took you into the ocean while I captured the moment on camera. You could not stop giggling and wanting to go out further into the water. You loved splashing around and jumping into the waves! You loved the freedom of running around in the sand and more than once, Daddy and I had to make a quick dive to reach you before you reached the water's edge unattended.

The next morning, we suffered through a long-winded church service at the community center. You were pretty happy and social during the service but we had to take you out of the room because the minister spoke in a whisper (not kidding!) and it was hard to hear him over your babbling and baby noises. I think the people around us were sad to see you go, Katy, as you were their entertainment for the morning.

After church, we partook in the coastal tradition of dining at one of the many all-you-can-eat Calabash dinners and Bennett's Calabash Restaurant. Babies are free of charge and let me tell you, they lost money on you and Molly! Between the two of you I think you ate a whole watermelon, tons of cheese, rolls, fruit and various other goodies on the buffet!

Monday morning we went to the community pool. You much preferred going into the big pool with either Daddy or I, than going into a kiddie pool. We had a special float for you to sit in while we swam around the pool. You loved trying to "dunk" Pop-Pop and Daddy.

We went to the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk later in the day to window shop and play a little skeeball- Grandma's favorite game. We made it a point to go into Great-Grandma Tinkey's favorite store, The Gay Dolphin, a cluttered, gift shop of oceanic proportions (pun intended).

The rest of the week was filled with alternating trips to the beach and pool. The weather was quite warm while we were there- over 100 degrees!!- so we tried to go to the pool or beach early in the morning and stay inside somewhere during the afternoon hours.

Katy, you had fun playing with you favorite toy, cousin Molly. Every morning you would wake up and the first word out of your mouth was , "Maaaaeeeee" or "Baby." Then, you'd go running to Molly's bedroom and see if she was up and ready to play. It was so fun to see you two play together. Now that Molly is walking and standing up on her own, she can keep up with you a little better. Of course, you do tend to run around the room like a whirling dervish, so it was hard for Molly to always keep up (not to mention exhausting for us to keep track of!!).

Grandma and Pop-Pop Tinkey agreed to take care of you, Katy, Tuesday afternoon while Daddy and I went on an afternoon date. This was a rare treat and Daddy and I made the most of it! It's amazing what we fit into four and a half hours! We went to Ripley's Haunted House and Moving Movie Theater, saw the newest installment of Harry Potter and topped off the date with ice cream sundaes at Cold Stone Creamery.

On Wednesday morning, we toured the weird, the wacky and the funny at the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum. Our family friend, Ed Meyer, was able to get us into all of the Ripley's attraction so we took full advantage of the free entertainment throughout the week. Katy, you were very good throughout the museum- there was lots to keep your attention!

Thursday morning we had a private behind-the-scenes tour with the Director of Husbandry at the Ripley's Aquarium. We got to see where all of the fish are fed, how they are fed, the generators, tanks and even where the "mermaids" dive into the tanks. A BIG turtle came to greet us when we were looking at of the the behind the scenes tanks. You loved looking at all of the fish and the other little kiddies! It was nice to be inside in AC during the heat of the day and we had fun observing all of the sea life.

After the Aquarium, we went to Carlos and Charlie's for lunch. You had a meltdown in the restaurant which ended up with us ordering our food to go and a long car ride home (to the beach house) as you slept in the backseat.

Friday was our last full day at the beach so we woke up and spent most of the morning/early afternoon splashing in the waves, taking a walk along the sand and enjoying a (sandy) lunch.

We woke up early Saturday morning, straightened up the beach house and then all parted ways. Daddy had to go back home to go to work and Auntie Hope, Uncle Eric and Molly went to visit other family in North Carolina. However, you and I got to go home to Florida with Grandma and Pop-Pop for another week of vacation in Florida.

All in all, our week at the beach was relaxing and enjoyable. It was fun to have some unstructured time enjoying family and experience your first time at the beach, Katy. Judging from your reaction to the beach this time, I have a feeling this will definitely not be our last trip to the beach!


Anonymous said...

You keep such great notes! ;) Sounds like the perfect vacation, I'm happy you had fun and that Katy loved the ocean!

Post a Comment


All Things Katy! Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez